Friday, April 2, 2010

Day #11: Detoxing and other Opinions


I've made it to day #11. That is almost two full weeks as a vegetarian and I am proud to say I have not slipped one time. It is getting easier to plan the meals and actually be satisfied throughout the day. The first week had it's ups and downs. Making such a drastic lifestyle change takes a lot of will power and can be quite difficult. Having to deal with differing opinions is an obstacle as well. I was doing it though and going strong. Then detox hit.....

Yep, I had been told by fellow veggie lovers that there would be a time in the second week where it would feel like my body was rebelling. I even saw it happen to those people in the documentary that inspired me. I had been feeling great though, so that was not going to happen to me.

Then came the rumbly in my tumbly. Oh yes and it was not fun. Sometime on Tuesday I began to notice that everytime I ate something, my stomach began to feel like I was on a rocking boat. It got worse on Wednesday. To be very forward and in the spirit of full disclosure, there was a lot of time spent in the bathroom as well. I am happy to report that by Friday (today) I am back to my old self.

This caused much speculation from the people around me. Questions of my protein intake abounded. People began to tell me that it was time to stop being a vegetarian, that I was not feeling well because I was not eating meat. Some people were teasing me, others were sincere in their pleas. In the end, please rest assured that I am fine. I know my body, it was nothing extreme. It could have been a bug, it could have been detox in the second week, who knows. I stuck to the vegetarian diet and today feel fine.

In the end I can tell you that I feel great. I have more energy now than I have had in years, I am losing weight at a healthy pace, and I am creating healthy habits that will help me live a long and happy life. I am excited to continue this quest and share with all of you the challenges and successes along the way.

**********************************************************************

Dinner Time!! Tonight for dinner Mike made a very spicy and hardy vegetarian chilli. It had everything from green bell peppers, to kidney, black and garbonzo beans, crumbled up veggie burgers and plenty of chili powder. Sure it made my eyes water, my throat tickly and my nose run, but I ate two bowls! This was some good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment